Mondim de Basto is a transitional municipality between Minho and Trás-os-Montes. A place with history, rich in natural resources of which the best examples are the hill of Senhora da Graça and the Parque do Alvão.
Casa da Igreja is a manor house built in the last quarter of the 18th century by João Manuel de Carvalho Peres. Above the portal of the main entrance is the Carvalho, Peres, Teixeira and Borges family coat of arms. The important features are the central stone staircase, ten granite-framed bay windows with iron railings, and interestingly carved and painted wood ceilings. It has a chapel whose patron saint is São João Nepomuceno. The chapel was blessed on July 13, 1792.
According to ancient documents, it was once occupied by the ancient parish priest of the main church of Mondim de Basto, which adjoins it. Framing the main façade there is a formal garden of boxwood and honeysuckle that makes it more majestic.
In May 1809, during the French Invasions, the house was pillaged and destroyed. In 1962 a landscaping project was made for the recovery of the historic garden by Architect Ilídio Araújo, and also an architectural project by Architect Fernando Távora to renovate and restore the house.