This Carmelite monastery was established in 1251 during the reign of King Afonso III to receive the chaplains of the Order of the Military of St. John of Jerusalem, returned from the Holy Land. It was the first convent of this order founded in Portugal and throughout the Iberian Peninsula.
Today, there are no any original buildings in Gothic style, since the complex underwent profound transformations throughout the 16th century, these present in various decorative elements (“Manuelino” and Renaissance), which coexist with the few Gothic vestiges. It stands out the “Manuelino” dome, where you can see the cross of Christ. Also stands out the renaissance portico of the church. As eighteenth-century elements, deserve special mention the nave's mosaics, the convent facade and the characteristics from the Doric and Ionic orders on the two floors of the cloister. The symbolism of the Order of Malta can also be found on the facade, in the main porch and in the cloister.
The main façade, of elegant renaissance proportions, is also marked by the presence of flat whitewashed in contrast with the stony elements and with some ocher frames. The other façades, of a simpler character, are also marked by the frames of the whitewashed ocher, the buttresses and cornices, and the bell tower is also remarkable.
The entire property, with the exception of the church, is for tourist use.