With a strong presence in the center of the city, the majestic building was built in 1936 by a municipal initiative, with project by the architect Vasco Regaleira, following a public tender about a "model hotel" for the various regions of the country, launched by the "Commissariat of Tourism".
The Hotel was opened in 1947 and later, in 1958, expanded and classified as 3 stars, with a total of 2 suites and 101 rooms, and also with restaurant, bar, swimming pool and a small garden.
The building has a regionalist image based on the "Portuguese Houses" model, defended by the Architect Raúl Lino and with personal guidance from Engineer Duarte Pacheco, then Minister of Public Works and Communication. It presents a marked rhythm of pilasters and architectural elements in granite carved to fine peak, being also remarkable the form of the roofs and the central volume of the main entrance. The interiors feature tiled plastered walls, polychrome tile floors, brown wood doors and windbreaks, granite tile flooring and frescoed ceilings that mimic the 18th century technique, as well as brown wood ceilings.