Integrated in the urban network of the city and in the proximity of the Castle of Leiria,the Santo António dos Capuchos Convent dates from the 17th century, with 18th century classical architectural features.
It has a harmonious façade, a deep porch typical of Capuchin convents and a symmetrical Doric arcade, with rectangular openings. The ‘brutesque’ murals that adorn the walls of the nave are still visible, although the walls were once lined with decorative tiles. The main portal of the church is also 18th century, with a semicircular lintel and pediment of broken scrollwork.
In 1770 extension work was carried out to add side aisles and baroque portals with curved pediments topped by spyglasses and charts. In the 19th century it was also subject to alterations and extension, and is currently composed of several buildings constructed at right angles around a cloister and courtyard.
It is especially notable for its classical appearance and elegant main façade at the entrance to the church.