Alter Stud was built in 1748, part of a new stables policy initiated in 1708 by King João V, following the European fashion.
It is located 4 km from the village of Alter do Chão, in Alto Alentejo, on the Tapada do Arneiro, an entirely walled estate of approximately 800 hectares, with a remarkable natural heritage of great scenic value in terms of flora and fauna. It is the oldest and most notable stud in Portugal and has been operating uninterruptedly in its original form longer than any other in the world.
In the stables you can admire the grandeur and beauty of the Alter Real brand of the Lusitano horse, which led to the development of horse riding.
The stud buildings have very distinct architectural features. For example, an old church has been turned into an exhibition space/reception and offices on the upper floor (with access by an outside staircase). Another building from the late 19th century, classified under rural tourism regulations as a country house, has 11 accommodation units (5 in the main house and 6 in the annex) and an outdoor pool.
The remaining seven were built during the New State and are the old Administrative Building, the beautiful Ring, the Enoteca, the Winery, the Carriage House, the Exhibition Gallery (together with cafeteria and shop) and a series of pigsties.