The Cabo Espichel Sanctuary, built in Natural Park of Arrábida, also known as the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Pedra Mua, is at Cape Espichel, west of Sesimbra Village, marks the southwest corner of Península de Setúbal, from where the vertiginous and abyssal Bay of Lagosteiros glimpses.
According to legend, there was an apparition of Our Lady. Nothing remains of the original sanctuary referred to by the Visitations of the Order of Santiago. From the cult of Our Lady of the Cape and the 15th century Ermida da Memória, King Pedro II and King José ordered the construction of a sanctuary that lasted until the beginning of the 20th century and then went into decline.
The sanctuary combines the church built between 1701-1707, of plain architectural design, two accommodation wings built between 1745-1760, the water house dating from 1770 and supplied by an aqueduct, and the opera house, from the late 19th century. The rows of pilgrims’ lodgings on either side form two lines leading to the church, which accentuates its design. The pillars stand out, creating a contrast between solid and empty space and a chiaroscuro effect through the arches and windows of the upper floor, built in traditional style, but of great architectural interest and impressive proportions. In the centre is a huge expanse of sand.
The area for tourist use is the north wing of the former lodging houses.