Barra de Aveiro Fort, also known as the ‘Pombaline’ Fort, the New Fort and Gafanha Castle, was part of a group of Joanine fortresses built between 1642 and 1648. Its position was aimed at reinforcing the borders of the kingdom.
It was built in the 17th century, during the post-Restoration period. In the 19th century, the fortress lost its defensive and strategic importance, and was decommissioned from military use. It was still used as a landmark to guide the entry of boats into the Barra (shoal) de Aveiro, only losing this function when the Barra Lighthouse was built.
It is a bastion type construction of which only a small section of two half bastions currently remain. When the defence of the Vouga river was no longer necessary, constructions were built on the curtain and on the northern half bastion. In the southern bastion, a signalling tower was erected. However, on that side, only part of the escarpment, cordon and three cannon cut into the parapet are still visible.
Located in Aveiro Port, near Vouga river in the isle of Mó de Baixo.