The palace, located in the main square of Manique do Intendente, is imposing, due to its monumental façade, with the chapel at its centre. The lateral bodies feature straight-edged windows on the upper floor, with a curved pediment, which correspond to the ground floor with its symmetrical spans. Both bodies are topped by a balustrade interrupted by patterns crowned by sculptures.
The construction of the palace came about thanks to Intendant Diogo Inácio de Pina Manique (1733-1805) who held several positions during the time of Marquês de Pombal. Its connection to the town, which came to be known as Manique do Intendente, although originally known as Alcoentrinho and owned by the Order of Christ, dates from time of his uncle who built a manor house for his nephew in 1773. Thus began a very ambitious project, which included the creation of a town with a rational architectural configuration and which included, in addition to the palace (whose work was unfinished), the Town Hall, the pillory, the Courthouse and church. The project was never completed due to the removal of Pina Manique from his position as Chief of Police and his untimely death.
The entire property, with the exception of the chapel, is for tourist use.