Located in Largo da Graça, in one of the seven hills of Lisbon, with privileged views over the city and the Tejo river, stands Quartel da Graça, housed in the former Convent of Graça, and originally built for the Hermits of St. Augustine.
Its construction began in 1271. Over the centuries, it has undergone significant alterations, and the Church’s late baroque character is a result of work done after the 1755 earthquake.
The ensemble comprises two cloisters, one main, the larger, intended for contemplation, and another secondary that includes the service area. The cloisters are both square, on two storeys, the lower ones forming Serlian motifs and the upper ones, added later, with bay windows.