Convent founded in 1318, by D. Afonso Sanches, illegitimate son of King D. Dinis and his wife D. Teresa Martins, with the purpose of welcoming ladies of the nobility with few resources. It was donated the following year to the Order of Santa Clara, having functioned like feminine convent until its extinction in century XIX.
Part of an extensive series of monuments that also includes the Gothic Church of Santa Clara, its adjoining cloister and aqueduct, it is majestic in scale in comparison to the town and the valley of the river Ave, with its neoclassical appearance.
The most evident bodies of the façades are in stone with a restrained basement and two upper floors with vertical markings of pilasters between the spans. The striking cornice has monumental flame-shaped ornaments in the alignment of the pilasters. The south façade on the river Ave has a central body surmounted by an equally striking pediment and a sculptural element representing Santa Clara and an Elephant. The balcony spans are protected by imposing iron railings and the facades that border the north courtyard have a simpler architecture and are framed by the garden surrounding the old cloister.
The convent of the Clarissas was partially rebuilt in 1777, and subjected to successive alterations until the late 20th century. The roofs, facades, stone elements and painted wooden window frames of the convent were recently renovated.
Located on a small hill, on the outskirts of Vila do Conde, with great views over the valley of the river Ave and the city itself.