One of the main centres of the Benedictine Order in Portugal between the 12th and 14th centuries, the Monastery of Santo André de Rendufe dates back before 1090 to the time of Conde Dom Henrique.
Set in vineyards, access is through an imposing courtyard framed by the Baroque façade of the Church and the monastery complex to the south. Here a library was built in 1716, a dormitory dating back to 1728, and the cloisters, of which remain standing only the ruins of the first floor with arches and Tuscan capitals.
The monastery complex now lies in ruins, while retaining its architectural silhouette and striking aqueduct. The roof of the dormitory was recently renovated.
The entire property, with the exception of the church, is for tourist use.