It is a medieval castle built during the reign of D. Dinis around 1290.
Located at the highest point of the historical centre of Portalegre, the castle enjoys a strategic view over the city and the surrounding countryside, which is typical of the Upper Alentejo.
A notable feature of the fortification, which was connected with the defence of the Upper Alentejan border, is the keep, square in plan and with its different floors covered by vaults, and integrated into the walls that are typical of Gothic military architecture. Three of the twelve original towers are still standing, the tallest of which, the northern tower, is the true scenic symbol of the city’s medieval past.
The castle has already undergone restoration, as well as work to install a museum on the inside, which is currently in operation.